photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

October 02, 2012

Review: The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke - Juhina

The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)
Title: The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)
Author: Cassandra Rose Clarke
Publication date: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Genre(s): Young Adult (Supernatural/Pirates)
Challenges: Debut
Source: Publisher
Format: Digital ARC
Pages: 320
Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to an allying pirate clan: she wants to captain her own boat, not serve as second-in-command to her handsome yet clueless fiance. But her escape has dire consequences when she learns the scorned clan has sent an assassin after her.

And when the assassin, Naji, finally catches up with her, things get even worse. Ananna inadvertently triggers a nasty curse — with a life-altering result. Now Ananna and Naji are forced to become uneasy allies as they work together to break the curse and return their lives back to normal. Or at least as normal as the lives of a pirate and an assassin can be.
The Assassin's Curse was exactly what the cover and synopsis promise, an adventure. Cassandra Rose Clarke has recreated the feeling of fairytales such as Aladdin and Mulan and basically delivered an addicting and all consuming novel called The Assassin's Curse. The two main characters are a pirate and an Assassin. The originality of the premise and characters as well as plot in this novel is what really set this novel apart from the usual adventure novels. 
The protagonist, who is a daughter of a powerful pirate family ends up running away from an unwanted marriage. The family of the groom send an assassin to murder her because the shame is apparently too much for them. Now the twist that happens is that she ends up saving the assassin's life and causes the emergence of a curse. Naji, the Assassin now has to protect Ananna's life. Here is when the adventure to break the curse begins. Of course the adventure begins from the first page of the novel and I loved how we are dropped right in the middle of the action from the get go. Ananna is a great character; she is strong headed and doesn't go along with anyone's plan for her life, not even her parents. However I think my favorite character of the two is Naji. I just really sympathize with him at the beginning and I just love how even with his hard exterior, he isn't the dark brooding type, he isn't even labeled as an assassin's version of a bad boy. He is sweet, caring, and just all around a true gentleman, which ironically contradicts his profession. I just loved their growing fondness of each other over time and I just always hoped for more from those two together! 
Cassandra Rose's writing is engaging and makes you totally connect with the characters. I honestly couldn't put the book down and kept on sneaking in reading breaks whenever possible. While The Assassin's Curse doesn't go that far plot wise, I felt this book was more about the character growth than the actual plot progression. The ending just made me want more and I can't wait for the release of the second book in this series and continuing on the journey of this odd partnership between a pirate and an assassin.

29 comments:

  1. Ooohh sounds fun and exciting. I love Aladin lol I do love when a book starts off exciting and continues the action. I would run way from an unwanted marriage as well. I find the curse intriguing that he has to protect her since she saved his life. Will make for an interesting romance. Glad their fondness keeps growing. And also loving that you say he is a good boy even with his profession. Not much of a bad boy fan. Great review! Definitely more interested now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my TBR list....and I have been meaning to read it, but I was hesitant. Not sure if it was my kind of book...but your review has me rethinking that! Plus, I really like the sound of pirates, unwanted marriage, and of course the unexpected romance! SIGN ME UP!! LOL ;p I am very much looking forward to the romance in this book, it sounds sweet and very touching..and fun! I can't wait to get my hands on this! Brilliant review! You have bumped this up on my TBR mountain! :)

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely one of the books I've been dying to get my hands on. Sadly, I have yet to see a copy on the local bookstore shelves. :( I've heard a lot of great things about Naji! I can't wait to meet him. I am a sucker for gentlemen who aren't expected to be XD And Annana! I feel like she can be my best friend already!

    Great review, Juhina!

    Gellie @ Kaleidoscope World.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when a book grabs you so completely that you simply must read it anywhere. I've heard wonderful things about this one, and the only thing that worries me a bit is the inconclusive ending, but I'll definitely give it a try.
    Wonderful review, Juhina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a book that's right up my alley. Connecting with characters is so important, so I'm always looking for writing that does that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds really cute I love books like this when I feel like a fun adventure book to change the pace. I'll definitely have to check it out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything about this book sounds terrific , especially the characters. :) There must be something wrong with me because for whatever reason, I STILL haven't read this yet, even though I have it for review... Let me tell you, your review pushed me in the right direction! I'll be reading this, asap. :) Lovely review and I'm so pleased that you were a fan of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! Great cover. I'm looking forward to reading it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! This book sounds so amazing and sweet! I love the idea of the girl being just as fierce as the assassin, and the assassin being a gentlemen. Definitely cannot wait to read this one!

    Angie @YA Novelties

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huh, a pirates book... Sounds like a good idea! I always thought pirates only appear in romance fiction but and haven't seen any pirates in YA. And, now, here it is! Plus, it's paranormal, which is also my favorite, so I'll definitely be reading this soon! I do have a question though, do you think this book is original? Because I've seen so many hard-ass heroine out there and I think Ananna sounds like another one of them, so would you say the book is original character-wise? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "recreated the feeling of fairytales such as Aladdin and Mulan"

    SOLD. That's basically all you have to say to me, haha. I have/had a copy on Netgalley (not sure, because the site is new and I can't seem to download my older accepted books..) and it sounds amazing to me. I fell in love with the cover and after seeing the blurb, I knew I had to read it. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa -- supernatural plus pirates? That sounds kind of awesome. I'm always looking for something I haven't read before!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow dropped right into the action and a great love interest in Naji, I think this is one that I will definitely be picking up. Thanks for sharing the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been reading A LOT of awesome things about this book, and I really, really want to read it now!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review Juhina! I love when books waste no time diving right into the action. I like the idea of the curse making the assasin go from wanting to kill her to having to protect her, very clever ;) I think I'm going to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Soooo many good reviews on this book! Somehow, I never knew pirates and assissins go so well together! I just ordered this because of it. Hehe. Great review Juhina! :D

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
  17. So excited for this one! It's high up there on my pile begging me to read it. I think I must listen to it. Fantastic review, Juhina! I can't wait to learn more about this assassin and pirate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm surprised I DIDN'T comment on this post! It makes me so ridiculously happy to see others are loving this story and I honestly cannot wait to read the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so excited to read this! Bumping this on my tbr pile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pirates and assassins <3 Sometimes, I really enjoy books about characters development. As long as there is some kind of plot, I'm happy. And the characters sound great. I can't wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review!I've added this book to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know why but stories about pirate always caught my attention, from your review Naji and Ananna sounds fabulous characters. I think I shouldn't miss their adventure story ^^

    ReplyDelete
  24. nice review!! your review perfectly pictured what i thought about this book in my mind!! cannot wait to read this! pirate and assassin?! nothing cooler than that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't wait to read this! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Definitely one of the best books I've read this year. I can't wait to read the next book! Summer 2013 is too far away!! Sobs

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great review! I definitely agree with you about Naji. There's something more to him than meets the eye. He's not your typical arrogant, self-centered, bad-boy assassin. He's gentle and sweet, and he makes me swoon. I can't wait for their journey to progress and what happens next if they break their bond. I can't wait for the Pirate's Wish to come out! :>

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow!! Looks like one gripping book. Naji sure looks good. Excellent review; you've good my interest perked.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Assassins, pirates, curse?!!! It seems to be an awesome rading, in addition to the gorgeous cover <33333
    Your review just made me weant to read this book even more than before! ;p

    ReplyDelete