photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

January 08, 2015

Review: Frostfire by Amanda Hocking


Title: Frostfire
Author: Amanda Hocking
Publisher: Raincoast
Publication date: January 6, 2015
Genre(s): Fantasy
Source: Publisher
Format: ARC
Pages: 321
Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes.

Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss Ridley Dresden.

But all her plans for the future are put on hold when Konstantin– a fallen hero she once loved – begins kidnapping changelings. Bryn is sent in to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?
 
First of all, this cover!! Who else was simply attracted to the book simply because of the cover? It is so so beautiful! While reading through some of the other reviews on goodreads, I've learned that the covers for both the second and third book are also up and omg! If you haven't checked them out, definitely do so because all the covers of this trilogy are all so gorgeous! 
Since I haven't read the first trilogy of this world, The Trylle, I was a bit wary about starting this book since I knew I'd be missing any references made to the first trilogy. But now that I've finished it, I can definitely say that you do not need to read the first series to enjoy this book. I was definitely impressed throughout the book as I didn't feel it was boring or longer than it needed be. 
Bryn Aven,  a half-breed, works as a tracker for the Kingdom and eventually wants to become one of the Hogdragen, the Kingdom's Elite Guard. But in order to do so, she needs to fully focus her attention on completing her given missions and following orders. This has been hard for to do with her somewhat forbidden romance with her boss, Ridley. Through the ending of the book, her once beloved hero yet now enemy, Konstantin Black, is slowly introduced with a new twist which makes Bryn even more confused by what is true and who she can and cannot trust. I can definitely see a love triangle forming throughout the series, and honestly I really don't know who's team I'd be on.
Bryn is such a kick butt character and I really enjoyed seeing her develop and become even stronger throughout the book. I'm really interested in seeing how her character grows through the series and definitely cannot wait to see what happens next, especially how the book ended with a cliff hanger. I would highly recommend anyone to pick this book up if you're looking to dive into a new fantasy series. 


6 comments:

  1. I've never read an Amanda Hocking book - need a recommendation on which one to start with!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! I had read the Trylle series, so I recognized some things from those books, but if I hadn't read them, like you said, it wouldn't have been any different of a story for me. And yes, that cover is gorgeous! You can check out my review HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the Trylle trilogy awhile ago but I don't remember much except that I really enjoyed it! I'm so excited to pick this book up, it sounds like a great read. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited to read this one. I also fell in love with the cover. That is what cached my eye and then I fell in love even more when I realized it was paranormal. :)It was a win, win. I'm glad you enjoyed it and awesome review as well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a beautiful cover, pretty inside and "kick-butt character" so I know enough :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually reading this right now, I hope it's as lovely as your review looks :) Thanks for sharing !

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete