photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

July 08, 2015

Review: A Book of Spirits and Thieves by Morgan Rhodes


Title: A Book of Spirits and Thieves
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Publisher: Penguin Canada
Publication date: June 23, 2015 
Genre(s): Fiction (Fantasy)
Source: Publisher
Format: ARC
Pages: 368
Modern-day sisters discover deadly ancient magic in book 1 of this Falling Kingdoms spin-off series!

Worlds collide in this suspenseful, page-turning Falling Kingdoms spin-off series, which explores a whole new side of Mytica—and an even darker version of its magic.

Crystal Hatcher, Modern-day Toronto: It’s a normal afternoon in her mother’s antique bookshop when Crys witnesses the unthinkable: her little sister Becca collapses into a coma after becoming mesmerized by a mysterious book written in an unrecognizable language.

Maddox Corso, Ancient Mytica: Maddox Corso doesn’t think much of it when he spots an unfamiliar girl in his small village. Until, that is, he realizes that she is a spirit, and he is the only one who can see or hear her. Her name is Becca Hatcher, and she needs Maddox to help get her home.

Farrell Grayson, Modern-day Toronto: Rich and aimless Farrell Grayson is thrilled when the mysterious leader of the ultra-secret Hawkspear Society invites him into the fold. But when he learns exactly what he has to do to prove himself, Farrell starts to question everything he thought he knew about family, loyalty, and himself….

Fate has brought these young people together, but ancient magic threatens to rip them apart.
I have to say, it was quite interesting reading this book and knowing all the places that Morgan refers to in the modern day scenes of Toronto. A Book of Spirits and Thieves takes place in two different settings. Modern day Toronto and Ancient Mytica, a land where magic exists and seems to be set in ancient times (Roman Empire-ish?). There are three different POVs, first is Crystal Hatcher, a teenage girl barely making it through high school and trying to figure out what she wants to do with her life. Second is Farrell Grayson, his family is very rich and involved in some secret society for other rich people. And lastly, Maddox Corso, a boy we know can use some sort of spirit magic who's young and trying to live his life without any trouble. Things start to get a big mixed up with Crystal and her sister open a mysterious package from their aunt only to find an old book with an unreadable language. It's then that things start to pick up and the story unfolds.
It was quite hard for me to get through this book. I think the main reason was that I didn't really like the combination of both a modern and ancient day setting in one book. I guess that's just personal preference, yet I still feel that regardless of genre, a good book should captivate a reader from start to finish and not have any parts where it just feels like things are dragging on. As with most series, the first book is usually an introduction to the world with a lot of terminology thrown at you and can be quite confusing at times. Although I didn't really feel confused or lost while reading I did think the introduction was just a bit too strung out. Most of the main action/ problem solving didn't really occur until the end of the book. This is typical of course but regardless I still think the beginning could've been more captivating. 
Will I pick up the next book in the series? Probably not, but thats just my preference. Just by reading the synopsis, I knew I wasn't really interested in this book so if you find yourself the opposite than definitely check it out. It might just turn out to be a favourite for you.


2 comments:

  1. A shame to hear you didn't enjoy this one! I still need to read it myself. I love Morgan's Falling Kingdoms series, so I am hoping to love this one all the same! And ooh lucky you, you got the ARC! For some reason I really loved that old cover and then they changed it. I understood why, but then I still felt like it should've stayed the same! Great review!

    Totally just asking, but any chance you'd like to do a trade for this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHHH. This is a spinoff! I was like, the covers don't match... and isn't the Falling Kingdoms series not over yet? Hmm. I'm interested in the Falling Kingdoms series, not sure about this one. Sounds like you didn't really enjoy this particular one, and I'm not sure I would! Excellent review, Lobna!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete